Skip to main content

GREEN card interview....document!

Houston, TX |

I am married to a U.S. Citizen girl and i came on student visa.

The marriage is bonafide,and she makes good money.However, we are living with her parents and the house is in the name of her parents.

Will it be prudent if we get affidavits signed by her parents that we are living with them as lease or mortgage is not in our name?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


I believe you should get an attorney to help you. One of the hardest things is to prove that the marriage is bona fide. Please speak to an experienced immigration attorney.

The answer to this question is general in nature and is based on the limited facts presented in the question. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and no such relationship will be formed with Mr. Yakzan until a formal consultation is conducted at his office.


There are plenty of other documents that can be used to establish the bona fides of your marriage. Her parents can provide a letter stating that you guys reside there, however, by far that is not the only document that can and should be used. Hiring an attorney is a good idea.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


Affidavits from her parents would be a good idea.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Yes, an affidavit from the parents, coupled with post-marked letters addressed to you or as a couple in the same address would help.

Madrid Crost Law Group - (888) 466-4478; e-mail:; skype: usvisalaw 10 S. La Salle Street, Suite 3320, Chicago, IL 60603 Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:


You could submit affidavits from the parents, but that is not the best evidence you could submit. The best thing to do is to find a statement from a joint bank account or credit card in both of your names that shows that you are living at the same address. You could also take copies of your drivers licenses or state IDs showing that you live at the same address. For more information on the type of information you can use to prove that your marriage is "bona fide" see my article below. - Disclaimer: This a general answer to your legal question. Unless you have a signed engagement letter with me, you should not consider this information to be legal advice.


Yes you should submit affidavits from the parents.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer