Skip to main content

Green Card for family through home/property investment?

Philadelphia, PA |

I'm a student in the US on F-1 visa along with my sister here who is on F-1 visa as well. Both my parents hold Tourist (B2) visa.

I wanted to ask you what is the best way for my entire family (four of us) to secure a US Green Card?

They are looking at either:
- buying a property (house) and getting green card - Such information is hard to find online, however.
- investing in a business (if that helps)

Please let me know.

Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7

Best Answer

Usually, the USCIS will not approve cases where there is simply a real estate investment. You would be better off investing in a business that you intend on running. You might be able to invest as a E-2 Treaty Investor which is a nonimmigrant status and does not require as substantial of an investment as the EB-5 immigrant category. If you have $500,000 to invest and don't want to be too involved in the running of the business, then you should consider an EB-5 regional investment center.

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio



Thank you! It's helpful!!


If you have over $500,000 to invest, there are many companies that provide such investments in order to immigrate to the U.S. It must be an investment that creates 10 new jobs in an area of high unemployment.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


Good questions you ask. Do it again. This time on a consultation with an immigration attorney in the locality you reside. Good luck.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Follow the link below for more information on investment opportunities.


I think that given how much is on the line - your whole family's future - the best course of action would be to schedule a consultation with an attorney in your area who can evaluate every piece of information about you and your family and provide you with comprehensive, personal list of options. Don't you agree?

We offer consultations via in-person, telephone, Skype, and email. Contact us today! 713.335.5505 *** *** The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.


Depending on your details, the answer might be yes. Tons of opportunities exist nationwide for qualified investors to get permanent residence based on an investment. Buying a residential home generally won't work, but business investment visas are quite popular. You have to be careful, as not all investments will result in a permanent residence. However, you could likely find a suitable investment with some good financial and legal advice.

Portage Bay Law PLLC is an international law firm that give companies doing global business the knowledge and confidence they need to comply in any country. Our answers on this site do not constitute legal advice, nor do they establish an attorney-client relationship. The only thing that can do that is a signed Engagement Letter and Fee Agreement, which you can get by contacting us through


Best to discuss in detail with an immigration lawyer

John Lassen 1-877-252-4630