Skip to main content

Green Card

Houston, TX |

How much a USC should be making in order to sponsor parents for Green Card?

If in the household the other spouse is working too.....

1. Can both of us co mingle our assets for sponsoring?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Both of your assets will count and other spouse will need to sign an I-864A. For a family of four you will need at least $29,000 per year.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


Depends on household size and whether you have other dependents. The guidelines are listed on I-864P and available at

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


Go to, click on "Forms" and see I-864A and I-864P.


The U.S. citizen sponsor should earn 125% of HHS poverty guidelines for his/her household size. USCIS provides these figures on its website ( on form I-864P. Household members' earnings may also be considered in meeting the guidelines.

Lisa Tehlirian, Attorney -- Ellis Porter, PLC 2701 Troy Center Dr., 410 Troy, MI 48084 Phone: 248-519-9900 Fax: 248-519-9901 Email: For more information about current issues and developments in immigration law, visit my blog: The information provided on my blog and Avvo is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.


See form I-864P

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


That is a great question. The first thing I would advise is to consult with an experienced immigration attorney to clarify this response and to possibly assist you with the process. Now, the answer to your question depends on the number of dependents the petitioner is claiming on his tax return. If he claiming no dependents he would need to qualify as someone who has a household size of four (himself, plus both parents and yourself). Also, as his spouse he can use your income qualify under the poverty guidelines. Please call and I can explain in detail.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer