Skip to main content

Grand Larceny 4th Degree my first Offense

Greenburgh, NY |

i worked at kmart and they have me on camera ringing up a gazebo then going to the front of the store and returning it in the amount of 1,020.05 on to a kmart gift card the thing is i did not do it under my register numbers i did it under someone random in the store then i went to furniture and hide it while i was assisting a customer and went on about my business

when they caught me i did not deny i owned up to my wrong and i cooperated with the police i got out on a 250.00 bail

i made a really horrible choice i do not want a record i have plans to go into the military and finish college threw there but i wont be able to if i can not pass the clearence so please anything that i can do to help myself let me know please i am begging

i can not afford a lawyer

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Unless you are less than 19 years old coming out of this will require a really good criminal defense lawyer to do a great job. I suggest you hire a good criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.



what if i can not afford one


Judges are tough upstate. You definitely need a top notch criminal attorney who can perhaps creatively come up with a disposition that would not leave you with a criminal record and would satisfy the prosecutor.

I have been practicing criminal law for over 20 years and am happy to help you understand the law, but my comments here are not to be taken as legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship been formed. Please feel free to call me for a free consultation if you are interested in retaining counsel for your case.


First, if you cannot afford an attorney because of a determination of indigency, you will be appointed an attorney for all stages of the prosecution. Your matter may be negotiated by an attorney to something less or no conviction at all. You lack of history may outweigh the violation of trust to your employer and the felony level amount of the theft. These are often key factors in the disposition. Sometimes people are able to enter the military despite a misdemeanor conviction. You can even become a police officer with most misdemeanor convictions as well nowadays.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer