Skip to main content

Got rear ended on Hwy5 from 60mph

Irvine, CA |

Got pretty severely hit from the back on hwy5. Haven't registered with the doctors yet, but feel pretty bad. The impact was so hard that I hit the car I front of me after the impact, so I got caught in the middle.

I already reported the claim to my insurance company and they want to record the statement from me in the morning.

What should I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 11


Do not speak to the insurance company without a lawyer advising you about your rights. Insurance companies do not have your best interest in mind. Consult with and hire an experienced attorney to represent you and do so immediately. Best of luck!

Information posted or made available on or through the Site, including without limitation any responses to legal questions posted in Avvo Q&A, information provided in Avvo Legal Guides, and any other comments, opinions, recommendations, answers, analysis, references, referrals or legally related content or information (collectively "Legal Information") is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and any attorney. Such Legal Information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. It is not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely upon such Legal Information. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege.

Richard M. Sands Jr.

Richard M. Sands Jr.


I agree with my colleague. I know it sounds crazy because you're talking about your insurance company. However, there are many scenarios where you and your insurance company could end up on opposing sides regarding your accident depending upon factors like whether the driver who hit you had insurance. Even if they did have coverage, situations arise where the coverage limit is not enough to compensate you and you end up filing what's called an underinsured motorist claim against your insurance company to make up the difference. Experienced counsel can help you navigate all of this. Good luck and please hurry up and get treatment if you're hurting.


First go out and get the medical treatment you need. Next, speak with a personal injury attorney in your area. They will handle the process of dealing with the 3rd party's insurance and ensure you are getting full compensation for your damages.


See a doctor and then a free consult with a lawyer. Do that before giving any statements.


You need to immediately consult with a personal injury attorney to assist you who can investigate and give you guidance as to how to proceed. Personal injury attorneys typically handle cases on a contingency fee basis and give free consultations. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to find one in your area. Best of luck to you...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.


Get medical treatment, don't speak to the insurance companies, and retain a local personal injury lawyer to investigate.


Don't talk to anyone including your insurance co. Get a PI lawyer immediately. If you're in unbearable pain, see a doctor.


The effect of your injuries may be significant. Get to a doctor as well as an attorney promplty.


"Severe" hit and have not "registered with the doctors yet" are contradictory... people with severe injuries, much more often than not seek medical treatment immediately... certainly before looking into lawsuits... that said, seeking medical attention even late in the game, should there be true injury, should always be done... an experienced personal injury attorney will be able to evaluate the accident, the cause of the accident, the extent of the injuries, whether the potential defendant has insurance or assets, and whether the delay in getting medical treatment substantially affects the claim.

Since many of us medical malpractice lawyer types offer free consultations and take such cases on a contingent basis, there really is nothing to fear in calling us.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
Attorney at Law, Physician

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy. ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of defective drug and medical device litigation (Actos, Accutane, Actonel, Antidepressants, Avandia, Bextra, Byetta, DePuy Hip Implant, Digitek, Ephedra, Fosamax, Gadolinium, GranuFlo, Guidant Implantable Defibrillators, Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT), Ketek, Kugel Mesh Patch, Lipitor, Mesothelioma, Nuvaring, Ortho Evra, Paxil, Pradaxa, Prempro, Prisma Dialysis Recall, Reglan, ReNu with MoistureLoc, Smith and Nephew Hip Replacement, Stryker Hip Replacement, Tequin, Topamax, Transvaginal Mesh, Trasylol, Vioxx, Yaz, Zelnorm, Zimmer Durom, Zyprexa, and More), medical malpractice, personal injury, and real estate law and does so anywhere in the State of California. *** If you enjoy my posts, enjoyed a consultation with me, or are a happy satisfied client, please give me an Avvo recommendation/review.


No lawyer, no doctor, no therapist, maybe you should see someone like that first.


Call a lawyer as soon as possible. He will guide you through the waters to make sure you get the maximum amount of treatment and maximum amount of compensation for your pain and suffering. We all provide free consultations. I've also helped clients find doctors in there area that do not charge any copays

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


Your insurance policy contains a close that you must cooperate with your insurance when investigating your claim. Therefore, their request that you provide a statement to your insurance company stems from your obligation to cooperate. However, I would consult an attorney prior to providing a statement since your lawyer may be able to advise you as to what areas of your proffered statement may have a negative effect on your claim.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer