Got fired for my right to my own free speech

Sioux City, IA |

lost my job from making vids on my time at home never talked about my place were i worked our any one at it but some one from my job seen one of my vids and that set out to get reed of me and got me fired

This is an employment question.
I've retagged it.

www.court-martial.com; www.court-martial.us.com; mljucmj@gmail.com 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

In at will employment states, an employer may fire an employee for any reason, or no reason--so long as it was not anchored in discrimination (race, religion, gender etc.) or other illegal practices. I am NOT an Iowa attorney, but I recall that IA is an "at will" employment state.

The Constitution protects you from the government attempting to quell your speech rights--not employers..

See an employment attorney ASAP. To determine if you have any union or other procedural privilieges.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

To fill in one point here -- I assume you're not a government employee. The First Amendment prohibits only the government from restricting free speech. It does not keep private companies or individuals from restricting free speech and specifically does not prohibit private employers from restricting the free speech of their employees. That's why you have an employment issue and not a constitutional issue.

thin the constitution is not for no one but Government if the laws of the land dont apply to companys and so on thin no one has a constitution our a First Amendment for if its not backed bye law thin there realy cant be one for no one but whom one desides sad

but i do understand what your saying and you given sead it as it is thanks i only sead as a feel about it is all

William J Mertens

William J Mertens

It's always been this way with the Bill of Rights including the First Amendment. The Bill of Rights prohibits the government from doing certain things or sometimes requires government to do certain things like provide juries for criminal trials. Other laws apply to private individuals. State laws generally provide for when people may be terminated or may not be terminated from their jobs. That's why there's a separate area of law called "employment law" and why you may want to speak with an employment law attorney to find out if your employer violated the law under the laws of your state.