Skip to main content

Got a dui ticket on 12-1-12 and had a court date on 4-12-12 and they said the da is still waiting

Fresno, CA |
Attorney answers 7


Hmm. Your attorney is going to have to be a little creative with the premed apps going out soon. A great deal depends on the information that isn't supplied here. Many reputable DUI attorneys offer a free consultation. My advice would be to contact at least one soon.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.


given the fact that your pre med student apply to med school I hope you're not going alone it would be very a good idea to get a lawyer involved maybe even contacted the 8 before charges are even filed. he would do well to contact new tranny me DVD he may be responsible for saving your entire record


They're probably waiting for the Police officer to correct some paperwork. Do you know what happened with your DMV hearing? Did you even request one? You may be driving on a suspended license. I'd check into that right away. Best bet is to hire a good lawyer. I think that's Terry Wapner territory in Fresno.


I agree with the California lawyers who have already answered. I'm chipping in because you can't hire me and I'm saying the same thing. You need a good dui lawyer, now.

Often people think that because it isn’t a murder case, a drunk driving case is simple. Nothing could be further from the truth. These cases can be among the most complex a criminal defense lawyer handles. The government is willing to spend an incredible amount of money to convict you though. They will have expert witnesses available for consultation and trial.

That you have been charged or that some contraption says your alcohol level was at a certain level does not mean that you are guilty. It certainly does not mean that you can be proven guilty using competent, valid evidence.

Field sobriety “tests” are designed to give police a reason to arrest. You cannot “pass” them. The police will admit that almost a third of healthy young adults who take these tests without any alcohol will be judged to be “under the influence” – and that assumes they are properly administered!

After even a first drunk driving conviction, you may face employment discrimination. You will certainly be charged higher for insurance. Having such a conviction will also make you a target for drunk driving arrest in future interactions with police. You will automatically become a suspect.

You will want a lawyer who is familiar with field sobriety “tests,” perhaps one who is certified to administer these tests. You will want a lawyer familiar with the weaknesses of the contraptions that are used to report alcohol or drug levels. You want an experienced trial lawyer, used to cross-examining police officers. Police officers are practiced, experienced witnesses.

That is, you want an experienced drunk driving defense lawyer, whether you call the offense DUI, OWI, DWI, OUI, or drugged driving.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

--- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer

--- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

--- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin


Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

See “more” link below for more important information about this answer and AVVO.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.


The DA is not "waiting for evidence." The DA has not yet reviewed the case.

Every day stacks of police reports come into the DA's office. These are prioritized based on felony/misdemeanor, and in jail/out on bail/cited out. The last cases to be reviewed are misdemeanors where the suspect has been cited out. Budget cuts the last few years have caused backups in misdemeanor divisions of the District Attorney's offices around the State. This is quite normal, unfortunately.

In Stanislaus County, it has not been unusual to wait up to six months to find out if the DA has filed a misdemeanor offense, even DUIs.

When you appear in court there are three possibilities: 1.) a complaint has been filed, 2.) the DA has not yet reviewed the case and the court will continue the case for another 2-3 months, or 3.) the DA has decided not to file charges in your case. If they file charges, the judge will ask if you want time to hire private counsel or whether you need counsel appointed.

Please be aware no attorney can give you a good estimate of how your case will turn out until we have reviewed your police reports, spoken to you and any witnesses, and done any investigation necessary.

I am a former Deputy District Attorney and former DA Family Support Attorney. This answer is not intended to give specific legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship. Michael Scheid may be reached at (209)544-5727. For new Criminal Defense clients and Personal Injury clients the initial consultation is free.


The DA has up to one year to file a misdemeanor DUI case. As a former DA I know how many filings the deputy DA's have sitting on their desk! If it is not filed on or before 4/12/13 keep in mind they may send you a "letter" to appear in the near future.. You need an attorney as a DUI could cause issues with the med school application. There may be some issues to discuss involving the collision as well as the breath test results.. do yourself a favor and talk to an attorney! But you will not face any actual jail time most likely.


The DA has 1 year to file on a Misdo and 3 years on a you must keep calling to see if charges have been filed yet.
Just call the DA's office and give them your first name, last name DOB.

Scott David Levy

Scott David Levy


The DA's number is 559-600-3141...I am in Fresno every single day. Scotty

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer