Skip to main content

Got a DUI for being under soma (prescribed med) 2010. Now Im in process of renewing nursing license. Will this affect renewal?

Denver, CO |

I completed all my classes, pass all my test, did my community service. The bad thing, I got convicted a few months later for disturbing peace officer. I saw judge 2 months ago. I did not serve time but he did add DUI in my record. This has been the first time ever getting in trouble in my life. Ever since then, I have not getting in any trouble. I just have a fear my nursing license will be revoke due to this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Medical licenses can be tricky when dealing with a criminal conviction, especially DUI. I recommend you contact a medical licenses attorney - or someone who holds themselves out as handling these sorts of matters. I expect you will have a hearing as a result and will need a great attorney to avoid complications.


Undoubtedly this will have some impact on DORA's decision of your renewal. The only thing that you can do is be honest on you answers. It may help to have an attorney to help you craft an appropriate response if DORA has any questions.

The proceeding statement is for your benefit and designed to orient you to seek help more completely; it should not be construed as a complete answer to your legal problem or a substitution for legal advice. Only when an attorney has had the opportunity to fully explore the issues of your case can you truly be advised. By reading my statement you should not infer we have created an attorney client relationship.


You are required to self-report these convictions to the board within 45 days of being convicted. Have you done this? If so, you will probably need to appear before the board for a hearing. You should hire and consult with an attorney who handles these types of disciplinary hearings for people with professional licensures.

The Orr Law Firm, L.L.C - 303-818-2448 - Is Colorado's Premier DUI and Criminal Traffic Defense Law Firm. Rhidian Orr is the senior partner and owner of the firm and focuses his practice exclusively to DUI and criminal traffic matters in the state of Colorado. His decision to answer your questions does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. The Orr Law Firm offers FREE Consultations and we encourage that you contact his firm to discuss your case in more detail.


There may indeed be consequences for you. You must report your conviction to the State Board and it is liklely a hearing wil be scheduled. if you carry malpractice insurance, there is a chance your carrier will also provide counsel for you in this situation. Reach out to those folks and figure that out. If not, you will need an attorney that understands the state regularions as to nursing proffessionals and has a working knowledge of the administrative hearing process.

Good luck.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer