Skip to main content

Good day I have a immigration problem I am married for three years my husband and i went for my first interview and got through

Queens Village, NY |

Now it's almost time for renewal and he wants a divorce he didn't even file our taxes joint this year I had to do an amendment , plus he have a next young lady pregnant . What should I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


See an experienced immigration attorney. You will need to do a waiver based I-751 petition.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


You need to speak to an attorney. You will need to apply to remove the conditions of your permanent resident status but will need a waiver for the joint filing requirement.

Legal disclaimer: For specific advice on your case, Mr. Minawi can be reached at 1-866-929-0991 ext. 206 or by answer does not establish an attorney client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues. I would recommend that you also start gathering evidence regarding the good faith of your marriage going back to the date in which you received your green card until the time of the filing. This evidence can take many forms: joint financial documents, photographs, receipts for major purchases made together, etc. If you end up divorcing, an attorney can help you arrange this evidence and will assist you with preparing any affidavits, etc. to document that you married in good faith and the marriage simply did not work out. I wish you all the best.

This information is provided as a courtesy based upon the limited information provided in your post and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


You should speak with an experienced immigration lawyer immediately in order to discuss applying for a waiver.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:


Get a divorce.
Apply for a waiver of the Joint petition to remove the conditions on your card.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer