Going to Mexico and do not have a u.s. passport....

Fort Worth, TX |

I am a u.s. citizen I have my birth certificate and will be going to Mexico with both of my parents but do not have a u.s. passport and if i get one it will be back by the time that we make our trip. What will I be asked for at the border when trying to come back to the U.S.?

I believe you can still travel to Mexico with an original birth certificate and a government issued ID. Depending on when you are leaving, you might be able to expedite the passport though.

I do have a D.L. and of course both of my parents are legal residents and we are going for a few days and there is no way that I can get my passport back by then so I was not sure If I would get into any trouble because I do not have a passport.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

I do not believe that is legally correct, as the U.S. requires all U.S. Citizens to cross its borders with either a valid U.S. Passport or a U.S. Card.

To travel to Mexico you will need either a passport or passport card. That is, of course, if you are not looking for trouble on purpose. By the way, it is a federal misdemeanor to try and enter the USA without passport.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Will this be considered a federal misdemeanor in my case even though I am a U.S. Citizen?

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Look. I am not trying to do anything more than provide you with accurate information. My colleague is incorrect. The law changed in 2011. My information is accurate. As to your righteous indignation, please take it to your State's congressional delegation. After all, it is the Congress that enacts laws not private attorneys on AVVO.

No need to get upset, but thank you anyway it was a simple question.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

I was not getting upset at all. You are welcome.

As of 2010, you must have a U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card. They should be able to issue you a passport the same day as your appointment at your local passport office (if you have proof of your upcoming trip).

You need a passport or passport card.

Angelique Montes, Esq., Immigration Attorney in Houston, Texas. 832-378-7781. This is not legal advice and a client-attorney relationship is not created. The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case. For a consultation call (832) 378-7781.