Skip to main content

Going through divorce and getting ready to file taxes.

Salt Lake City, UT |

Have 2 kids and going through a divorce right now. She is having her grandparents claim our 2 children. I have another child who I will be claiming on my taxes. My question is how would I file my taxes; single, married filing seperate? Not to for sure how this works.

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce Tax law
Attorney answers 1


The filing status is determined based on your married status as of the last day of the year, i.e. whether you were still married or divorced on 12/31/08. If you were still married, you should file married filing separate. If youwere divorced, you could file as "single" or a "head of household" if you meet the necessary requirements. You can read IRS Publication 501at, it gives all the answers about the filing status and dependents.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer