Skip to main content

Giving up parental rights under WA state law

Montesano, WA |

father is willing to give up parental rights how do i proceed

the father and i are going through a divorce. he has agreed to give up his rights to our 19 month old son. i don't want him to have any legal right to our son. i don't want him to come back one day and try to take custody away from me. he has agreed to give up his legal rights. we live in kentucky. will we be able to do this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Unfortunately, from a legal perspective, the only way to have a party terminate his own parental rigths is to have another Father step into his shoes and support the child financially through an adoption proceeding. A parent cannot simply give up his own rghts in an attempt to escape paying child support. He can give up his rights to visitation by entering into an agreed parenting plan that says he has no visitation with the child, but that does not effect his obligation to pay child support. In Wa. a parent has an absolute duty to support his//her child, notwithstanding if the parties were married or not..

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer