Skip to main content

Getting court supervision for a speeding ticket

Decatur, IL |

I found myself oblivious to the fact that kids were back in school today and wound up getting a ticket for going 37 in a 20 (school zone). I can't afford for this to affect my insurance and want to get court supervision which I believe involves going to a drivers safety class but I am unsure of who to contact about this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You generally cannot get court supervision for speeding in a school zone. Find a traffic defense attorney in Macon County who is familiar with the local traffic court. You are allowed to represent yourself, but an attorney is in a better position to negotiate on your behalf and present defenses if they exist. They may be able to help you avoid a conviction, which would appear on your driving record. And the fines for speeding in a school zone are higher than they are for a regular speeding ticket. If you need a referral, feel free to give me a call. 1-800-517-1614. Good luck.


State law does not allow you to receive supervision for speeding in a school zone. You need an experience defense attorney who may be able to get the prosecution to agree to amend the charge (perhaps in exchange for paying a higher fine and/or traffic school).