Skip to main content

Gambling online

Markleville, IN |

I was playing a casino online for fun. somehow I went to playing for money and was charged on a charge card. It went over my card limit and I have 4 cards that I keep paying onwhich totals about $50,000. On my charge cards are names I have never heard of not the casino names also I ask for infor for my taxes and theey told me they did not have to send me anythingbecause they are out of the country. My charge cards went over my limit without me being ask to raise the limit and I feel these casinos maybe illegal. I can hardly make these payments I have started using a home equity loan we have my husband know nothing of this. Is there anything that can be done?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Time to come clean with your spouse. You need to file bankruptcy! Do not use home equity loan. You are just trading unsecured debt on credit card for debt secured by your home.

Arrange a free consultation with a bankruptcy lawyer so you can have facts and a path for resolution before talking to your spouse.

Best regards, Jeff


I agree with counsel's suggestion -- do not use your home equity, speak to your spouse, get things cleaned up and move. The solution to this situation will depend on your individual and joint financial situations.

Many of these entities will charge your credit card with their business names to help disguise what you are purchasing.

More importantly, please find out why you were susceptible to gambling. It is easy but as you learned it is costly and none of the parties involved are interested in your well-being. You have learned an important lessons -- your weakness for this type of activity and how the Internet easily can make smart people make bad financial decisions.

Good luck.


As others have said, you absolutely need to come clean with your husband on this. You are risking your marriage, your home, and this is a recipe for a nasty divorce that will destroy your future in a way you can't even imagine. Bankruptcy may be an option for you; you may also have legal alternatives against the casinos if they somehow duped you into using real money (for instance, if they lied and said that the cards would be used for age verification purposes only, but then billed real cash transactions without telling you.)

You also need to seek counsel on this. The Indiana bar can help you find an attorney, and I strongly suggest you do so -- the money it costs now could literally save your credit, your marriage and your financial future for years to come.

The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer