Skip to main content

From which state do I talk to an attorney?

Seattle, WA |

There is a possibility of a rental home being foreclosed upon in Washington but the owner lives in California. All papers were signed in California and has never lived in Washington. Do we need to talk to an attorney in Washington or California? Thanks.

+ Read More

Filed under: Foreclosure Real estate
Attorney answers 4


I don't understand your question. What is your connection to the property under foreclosure. Generally, foreclosure actions are brought in the county where the property is located. So, even if the owner lives in California and signed all the paperwork in California, the foreclosure action will be brought where the property is located, Washington.

Hope this helps.
Steven A. Leahy


You need to work with an attorney who is licensed in and/or knows the law in Washington, since that is the law which applies in this case and where any related action would be filed.


I agree with my colleagues. If the issue is the foreclosure on a property located in the state of Washington then the laws of Washington govern and you should speak with an attorney in that state.

This answer in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. The answer is not a complete answer and requires additional facts in order to provide the best options. The submitter accepts the risk of relying on such an incomplete answer and waives any claims of damages for doing so. As stated in the answer the submitter should contact a qualified bankruptcy attorney is discuss these issues further before any action is taken. Any action taken without advise and counsel of a qualified attorney is inadvisable.