Friend was questioned about a murder

New York, NY |

A year ago detective's came up to new york from colorado
To question my best friend about a murder. They said his
DNA was on the body of a hooker. They didnt arrest my friend denied having
Anything to do with it and they made him take a lie detector test
Which he passed. They didnt arrest him and flew back to colorado.
Should he hire a lawyer in case they try and question him again or
Does he have nothing to worry about?

Best Answer

I do not think friend needs to hire an attorney. Would believe that if there was anything to cause CO to want him, there would have been some action before now. Murders with known suspects do not usually take a year to get arrests.
Friend has cooperated more than he needs to and can legitimately tell cops to leave him alone. If they come back, he should shi=ut up and get a competent attorney

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

He should hire a lawyer asap, why take any chances? What do you mean, they forced him to take a polygraph test?
This cat needs a lawyer.

[removed]

yes, they made him take the test.

Michael Lewis Marley

Michael Lewis Marley

He should have had a lawyer then. For peace of mind, he may want to hire a lawyer to probe the whole thing. Something herein does not pass the "smell test."

If it's been a year he is probably ok. If they want to question him or they arrest him he should invoke his right to remain silent.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

The accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. This matter should discuss this with the nearest experienced local criminal litigation attorney you can find.
Go to Trial: Crash the Justice System: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/opinion/sunday/go-to-trial-crash-the-justice-system.html?_r=0
Not contemplated by the Framers! The Devil’s Bargain: "95 percent are resolved by plea bargains." http://shar.es/xdVIY #cjreform

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.