Skip to main content

Former asylee became US citizen, can he get vise home countrie to visit his home country and come back USA without any problem ?

Santee, CA |

hi . I have a question on behalf of my relative. He was asylee from russia and after 6 years he became proud citizen of USA. Until now he was feared of prosecution if he would go back his country but now that he became US citizen , he is applying Russian consulate DC in order to get vise for travel to russia as US citizen ? would there be any problem when he returns back to USA? Is there anything we should know of ? He is more concerned if USA has anything against it ?please, advise
thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes he can return to US with no problem. As to visa, it depends on the country. In you case of Russia, I would keep away from it even as USC. This is not because of the US laws but Russian.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


I agree with attorney Segal.. if he was truly afraid to go back to Russia then I don't know what has changed that would make him now feel ssfe as the country is now even more repressive.

(888) 275-0047 Legal disclaimer: Daniel Shanfield, Esq., with offices in San Francisco and San Jose, is a former INS trial attorney and United Nations HCR resettlement officer, with over 15 years experience in immigration law. His statements above are general in nature and should not be deemed legal counsel, as not all factual issues are known. Participants should retain an immigration lawyer to review their own legal matter. The information provided does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Going back to the country one claimed to fear, is always a very bad idea.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer