Skip to main content

Form I-864 question 21-f is it 0 or 1 ?

San Jose, CA |

Hello! I am submitting USCIS forms to adjust my status after i got married ,and my husband is an American citizen,the problem is he was married to a foreigner before and he filed for her and she is a USC now,on form I-864 21-f it's a confusing question for my case : if you have sponsored any other persons on an I-864 or I-864 EZ who are now lawful permanent residents enter number here,so is it 0 in my case or 1? I am the only one who lives with my husband and his ex went to a different country so no one is included in the household size but us ,so the household size should be 2 am I right ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The right answer is "0" your husband's ex is now a USC and husband is no longer responsible for her financially under the Affidavit he previously signed for her.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


My personal professional opinion is that any tentative AOS submission must be reviewed in person in its entirety by a trained immigration attorney in your presence. There is no substitute for competence of a legal professional.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


Although I agree with Mr. Behar, the answer is 0 and the total count should add up to 2 (assuming no children) ... I also agree with my other colleague .... meet with an immigration lawyer and have him/her review your papers.

Many of us do this via Skype ... and we work on weekends too!

It will be a good investment to discuss the forms, and other issues, in private with an attorney BEFORE you file, rather than after you encounter 'issues'.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer