Skip to main content

Form I-485 Part 3 C

Decatur, GA |

List your present and past affiliations with every organization, association, fund, foundation, party, club, society, or similar group in United States?

What do I need to put down or do I need to put down anything? For example, math club in high school, engineering society in college, etc

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


When asked this question, I almost always instruct my clients to put "NONE" and move on.

What is being asked here is of a political (as opposed to professional or hobby) affiliation.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Not a bad idea to do so, but the government is really looking for politically affiliated organizations.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Post 9/11 I actually instruct my clients to even put down the most mundane organization/club since in actuality USCIS is looking for misrepresentation of terrorist type organizations etc and I've had clients who honestly omitted being in a mosque congregation got into some hot questioning for trying to "misrepresent" a "membership. So to err on the side of caution just put down whatever member you have been in since attaining age of majority, ie. 18. USCIS and the Feds are now perpetually paranoid post 9/11 and are looking for ways to deny your application for a benefit not approve it.


just put what you remember. impress them, but don't brag. this is holdover from the days where they were hunting for Nazis or Communists. (they still do)

The advice that I give in each answer or legal is not intended to take the place of an in person consultation. A complete answer takes an in depth interview. After all, it is a life that is at stake. If you are in another city that I do not service ask me and I might be able to recommend you an attorney there. In general, in Houston, I recommend Adan Vega or Bruce Coane, Specialists. In Dallas I recommend Richard Fernandez or Yong Wood highly skilled and experienced.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer