Skip to main content

Form i-130

Ashburn, VA |

I am a US citizen, I got married in Pakistan. Now i am back to US and filling form i-130 for my husband. Now the problem is that while filing up the application on question 6 it asks me what is my marital status, since i got married in Pakistan and my marital status is single in USA, so should i put single or married on that column.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Once you marry in Islamabad or Timbuktu and your marriage is recognized as valid there, you are deemed to be a married person anywhere in the world, and that includes the US. You put "married" on the I-130. (besides, how could you file an I-130 for your "husband" if you are not considered to be married?)

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



Thanks, Mr Giacomo for giving me answer so quickly your answer was very helpful, I have another question and I hope so you will be able to help me out. Can you please tell me since I got married in Pakistan and my marital status is single here, so do I need to change my marital status in USA before filling i-130 for my husband? Thanks.


You ARE married and you really NEED to hire an attorney to help you with the process. Most of us offer FREE consultations for marriage-based cases.

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
1199 N Fairfax Street, Suite 702
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 527-1779

The information provided in this answer is designed to provide useful information and background materials about I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. The information provided is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. Any communication, including electronic mail, through this website may not be confidential or privileged. For legal advice, you should consult with an attorney familiar with your circumstances and seek the advice of counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based upon written descriptions of I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC’s experience. Every case is different and similar results may not be obtained in your case. I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC does not endorse or sponsor any links from this website to other websites and has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for their contents.



okay, Thanks.


Married is married. You should be filling in correct information. based on your description, filling in single would be a lie.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.



Thanks for your answer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer