Skip to main content

Forgot to file I-751 for wife as of 6/24/11 her status was terminated what is best course of action

Mccomb, MS |

her passport runs out in march is it best she go home and do it paperwork there in Philippines thank u

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Why did you and your wife "forget" to file the I-751?

Has your wife been told that she must appear in Immigration Court?

You need to consult with an experienced immigration attorney as soon as possible.

You and your wife should file an I-751 and explain why it is late. But please, consult with an immigration attorney so that you may have the best chance of success.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


Our office has handled a lot of late filed I-751 cases. We've learned that each case is factually distinct. You can late file the I-751 but you must prove good cause and extenuating circumstances. I highly recommend retaining counsel for this to protect you against separation from your spouse.


When filing late you need to show good cause for the delay. I would not advise her to go home prior to taking care of this situation. I suggest you retain an experienced immigration attorney who will be able to assist you and your wife in this matter. Good Luck.

The answers offered here are purely informational and do not create an attorney-client relationship. For more detailed information or to schedule a consultation please contact our office at (718) 924-2896.