Skip to main content

Forgery of Signature

Chicago, IL |

My ex-wife had a car accident and later received a refund/reimbursement check from the car insurance during the period which both my wife and I were still the policy holders to this car insurance. However, my wife did not let me know anything about this check that she received. Furthermore, she went on to sign my own name and her name in the back of this check and deposited directly into her bank account. I found out much later -- can I sue her in civil court for forgery of my signature?

Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Definitely it's forgery. How much money is this and is it worth suing for it. I'm hoping this is related to a divorce!

Probably should contact your divorce lawyer.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


Yes you can. And more importantly, the police can do a lot of your investigation for you if you just call them!!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


Forgery of Signature as you describe is criminal conduct. Report immediately to the police now that you have found out.

A civil action can be started, and the police investigation can be quite helpful here.

Good luck.


Call your divorce lawyer


It really sounds like a matter that will be dealt with in Divorce court. Good Luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer