Skip to main content

Foreign real property taxation

Loma Linda, CA |

Both my wife and I bought a new home in Lima Linda . Our agent has done our title deed as Community Property with the Rights of Survivorship . Question is that what type of IRS form we need as we are foreigners ( Singapore and Singapore PR holding Indonesian Passport ) . Do we need to file two separate individual IRS form for taxation ? Will it be double taxation and how much will it be ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


As a general rule, purchasing and owning real property does not require you to file any IRS forms.

If you have a mortgage, you will be issued a 1099 by your lender for interest paid on the mortgage, which you would then report on your form 1040 when filing for US income taxes.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.


Not an immigration question.; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.For legal advice please contact us directly through one of the above.


The two of you can file a single 1040NR to report your income and expenses. There is no special report to the IRS just due to the fact that you bought real property. I do not know if you will also be taxed in Singapore on the U.S. rent; there is no income tax treaty between our two countries. You need to discuss that with your tax advisor in Singapore.