Skip to main content

For years I suffered physical and verbal abuse by my estranged husband.

Bronx, NY |

Recently I moved out of our home because he would not leaved after I'd asked for a divorce. I purchased the home before we were married. When I left the home, to avoid any more abuse, he changed all of the locks on the doors in the home to prevent me from returning to cook for our 11 year old daughter, who he refused to allow to leave with me.I lost my job as a NYC Bus Operator, because of an assault that caused me to be arrested when he jumped into the driver's side of my vehicle and punched and bit my face.The child care business that I helped operate from our home was closed down due to the volatile behavior he exhibited during our break up. I do not have the funds to seek an attorney and am searching for a pro bono divorce attorney to assist me in this traumatic and difficult situation

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Start here by clicking some links.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.


Try the local law school legal clinics.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


There are numerous women's law firms in the city. Google "free domestic violence law firm" and you'll get them. They'll break all the rules and get results.

Good luck.


There is an organization called inMotion, located in the Bronx, that provides free legal services in cases like yours. Their contact info and website are:

2432 Grand Concourse, Suite 506
Bronx, NY 10458
(718) 562-8181


If there is still equity value in the home, you may not qualify for a "pro bono" attorney because you have assets. Another option you have is to retain an attorney & then have the attorney file a counsel fee motion (assuming your husband makes decent income) - thus asking your husband to reimburse part or all of the fees your attorney would otherwise charge to you. For a full assessment, schedule a consultation with a Bronx Divorce attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.