For my sister first arrest charged with a felany for Meth

Chicago, IL |

She is being held in jail on 4 warrants - operating a meth lab, operating a drug house, delivery and possession of meth. First time offense for her. She has a 30,000 bail but someone mentioned to leave her because she is suicidal and may hurt herself. SHes attempted suicide less than a year ago. She is close to her Masters degree, served in the military and got mixed up with the wrong crowd. There were three people livingin the house. What should I do to help her

Hire an attorney for her or prepare all of your info for her public defender.

Consult and retain the best experienced criminal defense lawyer.

The lawyer must understand that addiction is a disease and needs to be treated by professionals.

The lawyer's role in the process is to protect and defend the persons rights. Hopefully, this will afford the individual the opportunity to take care of themselves.

Of course, every answer is based on the question asked and requires a more complete context. This answer should not be relied upon to make a legal decision. Seek the advice of an experienced criminal defense attorney before acting. Law Offices of Raymond G. Wigell, Ltd. Defenders of the Constitution since 1975/ Aggressive Creative Defense Strategies/ Website: www.waaltd.com 24/7 --(708) 481-4800.

I am not so sure jail is the right place for someone who is suicidal. Perhaps you can get her to agree to enter a hospital in exchnage for posting her bail. Then you could use the bond slip, or at least part of it, to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney for her. Most of us provide free consultations. www.galivanlaw.net

if at all possible, hire the best criminal defense attorney you can find. Additionally, since your sister was in the military, contact the VA to see if she is entitled to, or receiving, any benefits.

Best thing is to get her an attorney and also get her treatment. The VA should help if she is entitled to receive benefits. As for keeping her in jail, they are not always the best place to keep someone. Most if the time they do not get the proper care. They just do not have the funds to provide the necessary care.

If this is a Cook County case make sure the attorney, whether public defender or private counsel, looks into getting her placed in Veteran's court. Also have them have her evaluated for the TASC probation (which is a special, expungable, probation available in certain cases for people with substance abuse issues.)

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Excellent suggestion! More and more counties are establishing veterans' courts.