Skip to main content

For filing for adjustment of status I-485 do I have to provide certified copies of my previous marriage n divorce certificate.

Oakland, CA |

I am filing for my adjustment of status I-485 and supplement and I am not sure how to provide certified copies of my marriage and divorce certificate of my previous marriage as I have only my present marriage certified and rest photocopy.If I submit original will they return me or should I do notary copy.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You do not need to send them initially because they will not be returned. But, you should order originals and have them available if requested. It is a good idea to have more than one original available in case they are requested.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


You only need to send photocopies of documents to USCIS. If you have an interview, or if USCIS specifically requests originals/certified copies, then present those if requested.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


Submit copies and provide originals for review at the interview


Submit photocopies and keep originals handy at the interview.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer