Skip to main content

For a step parent to adopt a step child does an agency have to be involved?

Madison, WI |

I am looking into adopting my step children. Their mother has already agreed to relinquish her rights. Can the adoption be done at the same time of the relinquishing of her rights? Also does an adoption agency have to be involved?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


She will give up her rights in the adoption. I do not believe any agency in your state needs to be involved. Check with a local adoption attorney. you want it all to be done properly and it can be a long process if not done procedurally correct each step of the way. Good Luck!

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER HELPFUL PLEASE MARK IT SO. This information is provided by PEGGY M. RADDATZ, Attorney At Law as a pro bono service. YOU SHOULD CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN PERSON who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


Yes, an agency needs to be involved because a custody study is required. A termination of parental rights must be accompanied by an adoption. They will not grant one without the other. Please consult with an adoption attorney. Adoptions are complicated and there are a lot of rules and procedures which must be followed.


You don't need an adoption agency per se but you do need some kind of accepted placed to do a step parent adoption study (which can be an adoption agency, lutheran social services, sometimes in some counties social services). If this is not done, the adoption won't get approved. This is a complex case that needs step by step instruction or they get messed up, get some help with it if you want it done correctly.

In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel in your geographic area regarding any specific questions.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer