Skip to main content

For a settlement for a car accident of $10,000 with $6,600 in medical bills, should my lawyer get $3,300 off of the top?

Kansas City, KS |

The total amount of the lawsuit in court was $17,000 that included pain/suffering and loss of wages. The contract said that he would receive 33% of the net recovered and the PIP lien was $4500. It turns out that the lawyer received more in fees than I received in compensation. Shouldn't they receive their fee after the medical fees were paid? They gave me over $1000 in medical bill receipts that went unpaid.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Sorry about your predicament. Assuming the retainer agreement conforms with Kansas law it controls. You need to read the agreement again. Of course, your attorney should answer any question. This is not a unique circumstance. Any lawyer who practices personal injury law with regularity has faced these issues. Like most of my colleagues, I am sure we have made exceptions and modifications to the agreement. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Read your contract. It is normally 1/3 of total recovery. If he gets 1/3 of what's left, why would he take the case. What if judgment is amount of bills. He would not get anything.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.


I'm not familiar with all of the terms of your contract with you attorney, but It sounds like it contract provided that your attorney would receive 33% of $11,500, which is $3,795. Did he reduce his/her fees by $495, or did he/she also deduct some other costs before determining net?

I personally try not to charge more in fees than the client receives as a net recovery, but that is not always possible. You can always ask your attorney to reduce his fee some reasonable amount.

Good luck.

S. David Rosenthal
2251 Douglas Blvd., Ste. 120
Roseville, CA 95661
Phone: (916)774-7200
Fax: (916)774-7203

Email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§2510-2521 and is legally privileged. This electronic message contains information from the law firm of Rosenthal Law. The contents may be privileged and confidential and are intended for the use of the intended addressee(s) only. If you are not an intended addressee, note that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact me.

 Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer