Skip to main content

Food Stamp can affect citizenship?

Miami, FL |

I am a USA resident and am receiving food stamp, the next year I am going to apply for citizenship.

Can this affect my citizenship?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


No, you can become a naturalized citizen even if you are receiving food stamps or other forms of public assistance. Also, you may be eligible for a fee waiver when you apply.

Some people run into problems if they lied about their income to get the food stamps and that is discovered by the examiner in the naturalization interview. If you are truly eligible for food stamps, there is nothing about which you need to be concerned.

Because you receive public assistance, you should be eligible for a waiver of the $680 naturalization filing fee. I have placed a link below where you can get more information.

I hope this helps. God bless you!


I agree with the above answer.

For tips concerning the naturalization application process, please see

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer