Flood Zone Determination is it required contains "the letters A or V" under the.

New York, NY |

I have a questions. (Question is regarding "Flood Zone Insurance")

How to confirm Flood Zone Determination is it required contains "the letters A or V" under the Flood? Please let me know..

Best Answer

You need to look at a Flood Zone map for the property you are interested in getting insurance for and see whether it is in a designated flood zone which uses the letters you mention in your question.

More information can be found online by Googling "FEMA Flood Maps" or www.floodsmart.gov.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens

Dear Jack: As you know I am in Flood Zone A in NYC, and so curious to see the old or new or current map inserted all the required information in the drop down menu and got this back: Current FEMA Issued Flood Maps State : NEW YORK County : NEW YORK COUNTY Community : NEW YORK,CITY OF So I then checked for the upstate information where Irene devastated the neighborhood and got this back: Current FEMA Issued Flood Maps State : NEW YORK County : GREENE COUNTY Community : WINDHAM,TWN/GREENE CO Sorry there are no items to display for this State, County and Community. Please check the Future or Historic Maps for available panels. So it does not seem that the FEMA link may actually take you to a flood map. Any thoughts? Steve. Sorry there are no items to display for this State, County and Community. Please check the Future or Historic Maps for available panels.

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

There are a bunch of different google links to both FEMA and the flood zone insurance program. I gather that there are a bunch of maps which are still being in the process of being upgraded to deal with changes because of Irene and Sandy. I'd probably speak to the planners in the Towns affected or to the flood insurance people directly to deal with what status map they use while maps are being updated.

check the flood zone maps or you can pay a flood zone search company to check for you. check FEMA websites for more information.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

Ryan Vancil Esq

Ryan Vancil Esq

If you cannot find the right map online you can try contacting FEMA by phone, and/or the City probably has copies in the planning department.

You need to look at a flood zone map. Keep in mind, the maps have been, or will be updated, to take into account changes in land caused by hurricane sandy.

If you are in a flood zone of any kind, it is almost certain your mortgage company will require you to get flood insurance.

You should confirm all this with an attorney.