FL-190 Notice of Entry of Judgment: What do the different dates mean?

San Francisco, CA |

On my FL-190, there are two dates on the form and I'm unsure what the difference between the two is. There's the "Filed" date that appears in the upper right as well as the date that appears in the box that says, "Effective date of termination of marital or domestic partnership status."

What is the difference between the two? When was my divorce made final? It seems like the filed date would be it, but then what's the purpose of the other date?

The date it was filed and the date the marriage is considered terminated meaning you were single as of that day or will be.

This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation. Call us for more information. 619.797.5456 www.mataelelaw.com

The filed date is the date the Judgment was filed with the court. The other date on the FL-190 is the date the Judgment was entered. The date the Judgment was entered is the date the divorce is completed. However, the date the status was terminated is on the Judgment form, FL-180. It is often the date the Judgment is entered if another date is not listed.

A few more issues to consider: if you are the Respondent and you did NOT file a Response (FL-120), then you may want to make sure the Judgement (FL-180) is correct. You have very little time to make a correction once the Notice of Entry of Judgment has been entered into the court's record.

Good luck!

PLEASE READ--before emailing, commenting or calling: As a rule, I do not respond to "comments" that are designed as follow-up questions to the originally-posted question. I specifically do this as to avoid creating any confusion to the originating author of the question and to prevent any attorney-client relationship from forming--as this is not the goal or intent of this attorney or the Avvo creators. Further, I am only licensed to practice law in the State of California; therefore, any information provided in this answer is intended for application in California. Second, the information provided in this answer is solely intended to serve as GENERAL INFORMATION, and, at most, to serve as a catalyst for discussion between you and an attorney. Under no circumstance, is this information provided in this "Answer" intended to be construed as legal advice--and is not to be considered legal advice for any purpose. If you wish legal advice, then it is recommended that you contact a licensed attorney in your area to discuss the particulars of your case. Only by engaging in a meaningful discussion with a licensed attorney, can an attorney then provide you with legal advice.