Skip to main content

First years after getting a marriage based green card...

Ann Arbor, MI |

I want to enroll on a two years Master's program as soon as I get my marriage based green card. Will that affect my citizenship application later. I mean is it better to have job during the first three years and then apply for the citizenship or enrolling on a Master's program has no effect on my eventual citizenship application. Also, for taxes, do I have to file for the taxes in my first year as a resident for the previous year in which I was not a resident or do I have to wait until my second year as a resident

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

Your choices regarding education vs. work should not have any effect on your naturalization application. Regarding taxes, you generally need to file taxes if the IRS requires you to do so. A licensed tax preparer or licensed accountant should be able to provide you with the assistance you need regarding taxes.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


For a marriage-based permanent resident, it should generally not make a difference in terms of naturalization eligibility if the permanent resident went to school versus worked after obtaining permanent resident status. For tax questions, you should speak with a tax professional who is experienced in assisting foreign nationals.

The answer above is only general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known and detailed research has not been undertaken. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers require an investigation into all facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. Use these answers at your own risk.


Being a student makes no difference.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleagues. Your educational pursuits will not have an effect on your naturalization/citizenship eligibility. You should consult with a tax professional or accountant regarding your question about tax filing.

Lisa Tehlirian, Attorney -- Ellis Porter, PLC 2701 Troy Center Dr., 410 Troy, MI 48084 Phone: 248-519-9900 Fax: 248-519-9901 Email: For more information about current issues and developments in immigration law, visit my blog: The information provided on my blog and Avvo is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.


It makes absolutely no difference whether you are in school, or working, in an application for citizenship.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


It is irrelevant if you work or study. You have to pay taxes for any year you had income regardless of status.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer