First Time Possession of Marijuana charge. What will happen next???

Lancaster, PA |

Do you believe i need a lawyer for this case? I never have been convicted or anything dealing with criminal charges. This is all a huge avoidable mess i got myself into. But however, when the officer pulled us over, he was pulling someone else over not US. We did not know this, but the odds that i had drugs on me And he then proceeded with the badgering questions and eventually told the driver to step out, then told me to step out (sitting front seat) and pat searched me to find....-_- I am really nervous i am sorry for venting. I dont want a criminal record, what is the best way to go about this i have so many questions..I need to know my rights. Somebody please help money is scarce, will i get probation, or lose my license for a first time offense? How can i get these charges exsponged?

There are many options for you but you must have a criminal defense attorney to protect your interests. If you cannot afford a private attorney you should apply for a public defender. Good luck.

Thanks Robert, will a Public defender actually help me? Or is it for my best results to hire a Local criminal defense attorney i honestly dont know how much they'd cost?... I am trying to go to court the best prepared for this. How can i go without losing my license? Or even lesser probation if possible? Is there any chance they would just "fine me out the a$$" please bare with me, i have many questions:/ Thank you again for listening.

Correction^ is it possible for a Judge to just make me pay a bunch of fines? What do you think as a First Time offender, how bad is it going to be?, very nervous

Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III

Calm down, the chances of you going to jail is very unlikely. The druf conviction is what you're trying to avoid. There should be options to a conviction; some type of diversion program, etc. Contact a PA criminal defense attorney.

Robert C. Keller

Robert C. Keller

If you can afford it, you should hire a private lawyer. You are eligible for a first time offenders program that will allow you to have the charges dismissed and avoid a license suspension.

Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III

TYPO: drug

Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III

Listen to the sage advice of Mr. Keller!

YES. You absolutely need to have competent counsel representing you. Do not post any further details ANYWHERE on the Internet, including social media like Facebook. Don't talk with other people besides an attorney. There are important defense issues raised by what you have set forth, and the consequences of this will have longterm negative impacts on your future depending upon how it is handled. Start talking with lawyers experienced in the handling of drug cases without delay. Good luck.

Yes, you need a criminal defense attorney to represent you. Your outcome will be better with experienced counsel We have several avvo lawyers from PA who have responded. Contact one for advice.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

You have various options: there may a motion to suppress evidence available in addition to programs like Ard. You should consult counsel

Specific legal advice can only be given with full knowledge of all of the facts and circumstances of your situation. Posting a question on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. All questions you post will be available to the public; do not include confidential information in your question. If you would like to consult with me privately, you may do so by telephone at 215-423-5500.

Lancaster County often permits you to deal with this type of first offense involving a small amount of marihuana in a manner that avoids a conviction and permits you to expunge or erase any record of the arrest, depending on the circumstances. You should absolutely consult with local counsel before making any bad decisions that might result in a criminal record or license suspension. Many lawyers also offer a free initial consult. Good luck.

You should always consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation and this general information is not provided to nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

Hello everyone thanks for your input i am taking this all in and am doing a lot of thinking. Now as comparison of a Public defender vs a Local Criminal Defense Attorney, i understand its my first Offense, thru either of them could i file an ARD program? Could a public defender help me with this Or does a public defender not look for MY best interests for the future? Is that possible as a first time offender i can expunge my possession charge thru the "program"?? And what other things will i have to go thru? (ex. Probation((how long?)) Pos. community service?) i do not know how it works in the state of PA. Thank you for listening