Skip to main content

First time offense, four felonies, possession of two substances, under the influence, and paraphernalia. Plea bargain?

Ventura, CA |
Attorney answers 6


A plea bargain in this kind of case is always possible if you are willing to accept the DA's terms. In order to decide whether the deal offered is a good one you need an attorney who can review your file and discuss your case with you.


Yes it is possible. However, Ventura County is very strict, especially compared to LA County. Expect to receive a jail time offer. The Under the Influence charge is mandatory jail absent some type of diversion.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
(310) 707-7131

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.


Retain a local REALLY GOOD criminal law attorney - one who is familiar with the prosecutors; judges & sentencing guidelines & procedures. Can locate an attorney on AVVO - under the tab "Find a Lawyer"

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


You are in a very difficult spot and definitely need an experienced attorney. You can contact the local bar and they will provide you with several names of lawyers who are qualified to assist you in this.

With regards to what you are looking at, we need more information to provide you with specifics but I would not advise you to explain your situation on this public forum. Since you are in Ventura County, you are facing a very aggressive District Attorney's office. You will be given an offer through your attorney to "package" everything up and take advantage of an early disposition. Generally if you enter a plea prior to preliminary hearing, you will be allowed to plead to less offenses and take advantage of accepting responsibility quickly. This is something you need to discuss with your attorney in person while reviewing your police reports. You should also consider lining up a narcotic program should the court allow you to attend in lue of jail time.

Good Luck with this.


A plea bargain is possible and actually likely in all cases. You have a great deal more control and choices than you might imagine. As a first offense, you more than likely are eligible to have this wiped off your record entirely through the diversion program. But, first you will want an attorney to go through the case and make sure there are no issues where your search and seizure rights were violated, or other issues which commonly occur. Even if diversion does not work out for you, and if there is not much action in getting your case reduced or dismissed, you are also likely able to get into "prop 36" as a way to stay out of doing jail time. Contact a few local attorneys, and ask other attorneys about the attorneys you meet with. Good luck.


You provide only the charges. No one here can tell you anything based on that information. A plea bargain is recommended only after your attorney reviews the case, assesses all the defenses and determines the best course of action. Plea bargains are negotiations based on the facts of the case and the possible jail exposure the person faces. Contact attorneys who work Ventura County, which is one of the more aggressive counties in California. We offer a free consult if you would like one.

Brian Michaels
Southern California Defense Attorney