Skip to main content

First offense, Shoplifted $69 worth of merchandise from Kohls. I was 15 years old. What will be my punishment?

Washington, NJ |

I was 15 years old when I did this but my court date is after I turn 16. I have never been in trouble with the law ever in my life and im a good student I play sports and I plan to get a job and go to college. Because I am a juvenile and the merchandise was worth $69 what wil my pnishment from court be? I payed the 150.00 fine right away. Will I go to jail? What will happen? My court date is December 19.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

you will likely go into a diversionary program for a few months. kind of like probation. if you dont get into trouble again, they will dismiss the case once you complete the program.

you should ask your parents to get you a lawyer

This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only, not legal advice.


You need to hire a competent criminal defense attorney to represent you in juvenile court. I do not practice in NJ, but in KY a first offender charged with Theft By Unlawful Taking Under $500.00 is a Class A misdemeanor and the penalty is up to 365 days in jail and/or a max. fine of $500.00.

We treat juveniles in a different way than adults. You may be able to settle the case as an informal adjustment and avoid time in a juvenile correctional center on the condition of good behavior, volunteer hours, etc. Contact counsel.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..


You did not have to pay the "civil demand". With that small an amount of theft and a first offense you will likely go to a conference committee and not in front of the Judge. An adjourned disposition is likely. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help there but is not essential. Call with more information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer