Skip to main content

First offender act / domestic violence charge and Federal gun laws....? Can I still own and/or carry a gun....?

Cartersville, GA |

In 1994 I was charged with cruelty to children my attorney got the charges dropped to simple battery and I plead under the first offender act. I was not supposed to loose any of my civil rights but I know the 1996 gun law may have changed that....? I called the court house and the lady pulled my records and said she didn't see any reason why I should not be able to buy a gun or get a concealed carry permit because of the first offender plea, I'm just not sure she is right....? I don't want to waste the $75 fee for the CC permit if I will absolutely be denied.....? Can I even purchase a gun...?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

I agree with the above assessment. You can certainly purchase a firearm, but the the carry issue may cause you some hiccups as local law enforcement may have an issue with it.
It would be a good idea for you to confirm, from the GBI, that your first offender status has been fully disposed of as sometimes the GCIC can be incomplete until the individual calls attention their specific issue. You will not need a lawyer to do that, just call and make sure the GBI has done what they are supposed to Generally very easy to work with.
Good Luck,
Josh Schiffer

Hey Look, A Disclaimer. And it is kind of witty. Kind of. To wit: Information Provided SHOULD NOT be relied upon as binding legal advice as no advice can be reliable unless a full review of all facts has been conducted. No attorney-client relationship exists unless there is a signed retainer between the parties. My Firm does not offer ANY tax advice. The Most Costly and Expensive Advice you will ever get is from a Cheap Lawyer. Do yourself a favor and interview several lawyers before choosing the one that works best for you. Remember, Bad Lawyers make all their money through marketing. Good Lawyers make all their money by winning cases.


Purchase , yes. Concealed. Call local counsel.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer