Skip to main content

First DUI/OVI offense in state of Ohio as a West Virginia resident, what do I do?

Wheeling, WV |

I was pulled over last night traveling in the state of Ohio going 66 in a 55 because I had not realized the speed limit had changed. I was given a few field sobriety test rather randomly without being asked or told what his motive was. I was extremely cooperative, respectful and honest about everything. I have a court appearance Tuesday morning after Labor day without the ability to meet with a lawyer. I only blew a .11 and have a completely clean driving record. I have no idea what my options are or what I should do to diminish my struggles in this situation.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


When you say WV resident, I am assuming you are also maintain a WV driver's license. First and foremost, you need to do your due diligence and research your prospective DUI defense attorney in which to insure you hire someone who specializes/focuses on this singular area of law. Tim Huey, Jon Saia and Jeff Meadows in the Columbus, OH area are 3 of the finest in the state of Ohio in the arena of DUI defense -and are personal friends and colleageus to whose work product I can personally vouch for. Their contact informaiton can be found on, which is the website for the National College for DUI Defense, an organization devoted to the training and specialization in the arena of DUI defense. -As to any effect your OH dui case may have on your WV license, for now... just know that WV will only take action IF you are convicted of DUI and IF it gets sent to WV. My webiste will advise of potential license ramifications if this were to occur based on your case fact allegations. Bottom line: Obtaining quality Ohio DUI defense counsel is your primary concern to which from there, all else can be competently and timely addressed. Sincerely, Harley O. Wagner, Esq. - West Virginia State Delegate - National College for DUI Defense.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer