Skip to main content

Fired from job based on race, disability, sexual orientation in NYC

New York, NY |

I was fired from my job because of my race, disability, gender, sexual orientation. I was able to collect unemployment compensation here in NY due to the unjust termination from the job. Now I want to file a lawsuit against my former employer for all the unjust pain and suffering I had to endure before they finally terminated my employment unjustly. I need legal help
Add additional information Saved

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


There are a good number of attorneys who will take a look at your case with a free consult and if it looks good will do this on a contingent basis. Click the contact attorney button to reach out to the attorney of your choice.

This answer should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship, and is for informational purposes only.


I do not practice in NY, but you should consult a NY employment attorney as soon as possible.

Before you can file a lawsuit you first need to exhaust your administrative remedies with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and your designated N.Y. state agency. There are time deadlines for filing with those agencies and you do not want to miss them.

One issue you should discuss with your attorney is, do you really want to allege all four bases for discrimination? You can, but It may later be difficult to persuade a jury that your employer's actions were motivated by discriminatory intent based on your race AND your gender AND your disability AND your sexual orientation. Is not your evidence for some of those stronger than others?

Be sure to pursue your state law remedies. I am pretty sure that New York prohibits workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation, but federal law generally does not (if you are in the private sector).

This response is merely a general discussion of an issue based on the information provided. It is not intended as legal advice and does not form an attorney-client relationship. You are encouraged to seek out an attorney of your choosing in your local jurisdiction, and to discuss your legal issue with that attorney.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison


Avvo website is a great place to start your search for an attorney.


Use the AVVO find a lawyer tab for employment lawyer.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


You may have viable claims under the New York City Human Rights Law. Before you file a lawsuit, please schedule a consultation with an experienced employment lawyer to determine whether or not you will be able to file a lawsuit; if you signed an arbitration agreement, you may not be able to go to court, but rather, may have to arbitrate your claims.

-Denise K. Bonnaig

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer