Firearm possession after felony

Tallahassee, FL |

My husband was convicted of 3rd degree felony for marijuana possession back in 2004. If he is not allowed to possess firearms, does this mean that since we live together, that I also cannot possess firearms? I am not clear on the technical legalities regarding this matter.

Yes you can possess a firearm yourself but it cannot be anywhere where it might be construed that he has constructive possession. So if you are going to possess a gun make sure he is not with you.

So, dont own guns that are kept anywhere in the house? What about a safe that only I can get into?

Antonio Gonzalo Jimenez

Antonio Gonzalo Jimenez

I thought about that but I can see the argument from law enforcement that he has access to the safe but is now conveniently forgetting the combination or he doesn't have the key on him right now but he does or could have access to it when law enforcement is around. Bottom line I would not personally own a gun if my spouse was a convicted of a felony unless it was in a different building/location that no reasonable person would believe he had access to. Better safe than sorry.

thank you. i agree that is probably best.

Don Waggoner

Don Waggoner

As to the above advice, I disagree. Keeping it in a safe which only you can open is proper. the state may be able to take away your husband's right to own a firearm, but they cannot take away yours. And they can't just arrest your husband on suspicion that he might know the combination. In addition, I would suggest a trigger lock may, I say may, be sufficient.

Antonio Gonzalo Jimenez

Antonio Gonzalo Jimenez

I agree with you Don but I can see the argument coming from the other side as well. Definitely a good defense at trial but why be placed in that position in the first place? I just see both sides to this argument.

If you have a firearm it makes it easy for your husband to be charged with felon in possession of firearm. The possession can be constructive versus actual.
I always advise my clients that if one spouse has a felony conviction if they want to own a firearm Store it at a different property or at a locker at the gun range.

thank you

You can legally possess a firearm, he cannot. Anything that can be said to be under his control is possession. If you store your gun(s) where he does not have access or control, it would be a defensible case, but he still might be arrested and charged. If you keep them at, say, your brother's house and pick them up from there when you want to use them he should be fine.

He should not be in a car with the firearms.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

thank you

Yes, you may own and possess a firearm. As the other attorneys have stated, it is imperative that you keep it away from your husband. If you have it in your house, keep it in a safe to which only you have the combination. There are other methods of storage also. i suggest you purchase the book "Florida Firearms, Law Use & ownership" bu attorney Jon Gutmacher. just look him up on his website and you can find all the information you need.

Thank you for the help. I will look into that.