Skip to main content

Financial issues after divorce

Cleveland, OH |

When we did divorce settlement, my ex-spouse only had $10000 in his bank. But after a few months later, I found out that he paid off his mortgage of $50000. If he said the money is from his parents to pay off his mortgage, that will not be considered his hidden money during our marriage, right? I will not be able to know where he get the money from after divorce if he didn't tell the true. If he receives money from his family, will that affect the child support he needs to pay?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


A one-time gift of money will not impact his child support as it is not considered income for purposes of the CSEA computation. Regarding the issue of the source of the funds; if you have serious suspicions that the funds were concealed during your divorce you should speak with the attorney that represented you during the divorce. They would be in the best position to advise you on how to proceed to try to discover the true origins. Best wishes.


No. If his parents gave him money, that would likely be considered a gift or a loan or an advancement on an inheritance. It is not "hidden". Also, as counsel indicated, this would not affect your child support. If you think that he hid money, you can certainly investigate. Contact your attorney to do so. Good luck.

The above information is not, nor intend to be, legal advice. You SHOULD consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Based on this response no attorney-client relationship has been formed. If your matter is in Cuyahoga County or surrounding counties, we invite you to contact us. Please visit our website at Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until such time and attorney-client relationship is formed. Attorneys in this firm are only licensed to practice in the state of Ohio and have no specific information as to the laws and rules of other states and none of the information provided is intended to be applied to the laws of other states.