Skip to main content


Staten Island, NY |

Good day,
I am presently married to a legal permanent resident who is due for citizenship in another 2 years. I want to know how i can get a legal status to apply for financial aide to pay for graduate school next spring. Some of the schools i contacted gave an option of presenting a temporary I-551 stamp as being sufficient. Do kindly shed more light on what options are open to me..i would like to know all the options available so that i can decide on what to do early enough. I will be willing to hire you as my attorney for the process.


+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Repost under immigration.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


What is your legal status in the US?

Most likely you are unlawfully present, or on a temporary visa .... you will need to wait for your spouse to become a US citizen before you can get the I-551 stamp/card ... also known as a greencard.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


This is not a general question you ask. You are clearly in need of a legal advice. No problem, but not on AVVO. AVVO is a free general legal information blog, not a substitute for legal advice. Look for an attorney you would like to have a consultation with. You can use Find a Lawyer tab above, right here in AVVO. Select an attorney, contact them directly and schedule a consultation. You might be glad you did.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer