Skip to main content

Filling out a packet pertaining to allocation for parental resonsibilties,or signing over all rights? What should I do?

Pueblo, CO |

I was dating this guy for five months and to my dismay,I ended up getting pregnant right before we broke up. This has been devastating to me and my life,for I did not want any more kids,and I already have one child from a different father. My recent ex said he is willing to take full cusody of this baby,but I did not like the paperwork he got for us to fill out(Allocation for Parental Responsibilities),because when I viewed and looked it over online,it looked like a bunch of information was required,that to me,looked more like it pertained to couples who were divorcing. Also,my ex said that he would not ask child support from me,but there was a form,along with this packet,that involved information for child support. I'd much rather sign over full rights,how do I do this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


In my experience, most judges will not allow you to relinquish your parental rights including an obligation to pay child support unless there is another willing person such as a step parent willing to take on the responsibility. It is difficult to be relieved of a child support obligation because the right belongs to the child rather than the parents. If circumstances change, the child may later need support and a claim could be made. The claim by your ex that he will not claim support from you probably will not be legally binding if he changes his mind.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer