Skip to main content

Filing I751 after divorce

Alexandria, VA |

We got divorced after 1 year of being together , green card is about to expire, now we dont have much of paper trail together except some leases, car ownerships, insurance , banks and some trips, i do have long facebook conversations, will that be good evidence? Also we ended in good terms and she is willing to write a notarized letter too, will that be enough proof? I talked to my lawyer but all he does is ask for more money and wont give me good answers

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

The main requirement when applying for a waiver of joint filing requirement under I-751 after divorce is to show that you entered your marriage in good faith and not for the purpose of circumventing immigration laws. In this regard, you shoukd submit copies of as many documents as you can to establish this fact and to demonstrate the circumstances of the relationship from the date of the marriage to the present date, and to demonstrate any circumstances surrounding the end of the relationship (i.e., the reasons why your marriage ended) if it has ended. Although the documents that you have listed are a good start, after consulting with an immigration attorney, you might be able to identify some other evidence that can be used in support of your case, such as your final decree of divorce showing the grounds for divorce (i.e., adultery, desertion, and/or cruelty).


Because you will be applying for a waiver, you need a lot of evidence of bona fide marriage. If your lawyer is not giving you good answers, may be he will not give you good results too. Consider having a second opinion or finding an attorney that will satisfy you, however that should be done with an entire file before an attorney.

The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Call (212)880-1538 for detailed evaluation of your case. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore, You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. Visit us at WWW.USIMMIGRATIONPLUS.COM Contact Immigration Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016


Hire an immigraiton lawyer. this is not an easy petition to handle on your own.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


your evidence sounds good, but try submit as much as possible.


It is never enough evidence in this type of case. Consult with another lawyer. Many of us offer free consultations.

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
1199 N Fairfax Street, Suite 702
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 527-1779

The information provided in this answer is designed to provide useful information and background materials about I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. The information provided is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. Any communication, including electronic mail, through this website may not be confidential or privileged. For legal advice, you should consult with an attorney familiar with your circumstances and seek the advice of counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based upon written descriptions of I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC’s experience. Every case is different and similar results may not be obtained in your case. I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC does not endorse or sponsor any links from this website to other websites and has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for their contents.