Skip to main content

Filing for bankruptcy?

Cincinnati, OH |

I own my college a previous college tuition (out of pocket tuition not a student loan). They send me to collection and it is hard for me to pay back all the amount. I want to go back to school and finish my degree. I am thinking of filing for bankruptcy. Is it possible in my case?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The question does not ask the "issue" of discharging the student loan. It is unlikely you will discharge a student loan in this fact pattern


It is possible but highly unlikely. If there was no student loan signed, and if the stars are in alignment, it may be dischargeable if the tuition owed is considered an unsecured non priority debt. I would recommend you seek a free bankruptcy consultation in your area. Bring the debt documents as it relates to the college.

This answer is general and is not intended to create an attorney client relationhsip and is for informational purposes only.


You can certainly file, but it is very difficult, if not impossible, in most cases to discharge student loans. Tuition, however, is dischargeable.

I recommend speaking with a local bankruptcy attorney.

The legal analysis of any situation depends on a variety of factors which cannot be properly represented or accounted for in a response to an on-line question. Any answer, discussion or information is intended as general information only, is not intended to serve as legal advice or as a substitute for legal counsel, and should not be relied upon in making any decision. If you have a question about a specific factual situation, you should contact an attorney directly.