Skip to main content

Filed for custody of my daughter 8 months ago and have heard nothing from the judge, what steps should I take?

Lakeland, FL |

Neither myself or my daughters mother have custody. She has been living with me for 17 months and her mother has dcf cases against her. At the hearing the judge said he would contact me with a final decision but never contacted me. I called the courthouse and the case is still active and I have not been able to get any further information regarding my case

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I suggest you go to the court and ask to see your file. Review the documents to try to figure out what the status is. Is there a DCF social worker involved? Try contacting them as well to find out what is going on. Best of Luck to you.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


I agree with the above answer, but consider DCF to be your absolute last resort AFTER consulting with an attorney. DCF does good, but it can also wreak havoc in innocent parents' and children's lives. Take a look at the court file- call ahead to make sure it will be available- if what you seek is missing, speak to a local family law lawyer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer