Filed chapter 7 bankruptcy have settlement money from a lawsuit in a trust can i file as an exemption along with car?
I have 2 questions
1. Can I file for both my car and this settlement money in the trust fund as an exemption? and is it possible to walk away with both?
2. The lawyer in florida did not release the trust money to the trustee is that legal? what law in alabama govern the fact he has to turn over those funds to trustee??
1 attorney answer
You are asking questions that are beyond the scope of this free forum. Here are some of the things I expect any attorney would need to know before beginning to answer your question.
1. When did you file your Chapter 7?
2. Did you list your rights in the Trust on Schedule A/B? Did you exempt your rights in the Trust in Schedule C?
3. Who created the Trust? When was the Trust created? Where was the Trust created? Do you know what assets are in the Trust?
Lawyers don't just answer questions off the top of their heads and aren't "one size fits all." Any missing or inaccurate facts about the case could drastically change an answer. Hope this perspective helps!
Comment or add more information about this question in this public forum. Do not contact me privately about this question or my answer.