Skip to main content

Father wants half custody of child but mother thinks father is a little unfit to care for 17 mo. old daughter

Seattle, WA |

I left my daughter's father because he had drug and alcohol issues. Also, there were domestic violence issues with the father's sister where I ended up in the hospital and had to get stitches. Mother-in-law issues...the point is....there were just too many issues to deal with and my daughter is only 17 mos. old. I am hesitant to ask for child support although it would really help us since me and my daughter are on our own now. I don't want to keep my daughter away from her father but I just feel that he may be a little unfit right now. He also just bought a pitbull that he says is for her...I really need some good advice, please help me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If the court is convinced that it would be in the best interest of the child to limit or restrict the father's interaction with the child, the court likely will order such restrictions. Whether or not there are restrictions, the father would still be ordered to pay child support.

As far as the child support issue, if you apply for public assistance, DSHS likely will start a proceeding to obtain a child support order.

If you do not apply for public assistance, DSHS will still help you get a child support order. The website for DSHS is .

In either case, DSHS will not get involved in the parenting issue (unless there are allegations that the child is being harmed).

WA LawHelp provides some self-help guides. Its website is . At the WA LawHelp site, you can search for low or no cost agencies that provide help.

Alternatively, you can retain a private attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer