Skip to main content

Father uses child's social security number for credit

Highland, NY |

What legal action can my sister take against her soon to be ex-husband for his utilizing their children's social security numbers to obtain financial credit? He has threatened her with the 'no child support', if she reports what he's been doing. If she is unwilling to report him, can one of my family members or myself report him? If he has already used his son's ssn, is there a way to remove from his credit report?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Note that I am not licensed to practice in your state. This is not intended as legal advice. Please check with an attorney in your state

She needs to go file a police report for identity theft. If she does this, she can then take the police report to the credit card companies and also the 3 credit bureaus to dispute the charges and accounts and have them closed. This might also help her in her child custody and support case because it shows that he's dishonest and is willing to use the children for financial gain.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer