Skip to main content

Father in jail what are my odds of winning custody

Lake Charles, LA |

i have an 11 year old which has lived with me for 11 years in a stable home, her father in and out of jail for dui and drugs. i am going to court to reduce his visitiation. Even though he never sees her only when its at his convience or he is sobber which is like 5 times a year he mighgt she her. what are my odds of winning the reduced visitation for him seeing her?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


very strong, he may get supervised visitiation, insist upon child support and they resovle the issue. take care, and good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


From what you describe, you may be probably would be able to restrict or reduce the visitation because of the substance abuse and infrequency of the visitation. These cases are fact driven and without knowing more facts it would not be wise to give you more assurance.

This response does not creat an attorney client relationship. In all cases, I recommend you seek a paid consultation with an attorney with expertise in this area.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer