Skip to main content

Fastest process / process

Chicago, IL |

I am an Indian woman, my marriage is arranged with a US Naturalised Citizen (NRI). What is the process for me to achieve a status and how soon can i move to my spouse.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Your USC husband needs to speak with an experienced immigration attorney.


Well there are two different ways. One involves a fiancé visa that once approved allows you to travel to the US where you get married and file all papers there. The other process involves filing papers after your marriage and while you wait in India for approval. Either process can take a year or two before completed.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


The process differs if you are in the US or outside of the US. Generally, once married your husband must file a family based petition on your behalf. That is but the first step. After that you are either adjusting status or applying for a visa. Please contact a US attorney for specifics in relation to your set of facts. If you are outside of the US you can have a Skype consultation with an attorney.


Retain a reputable immigration attorney for the best results.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


If you are outside the U.S., your spouse files an I-130 visa petition for you. Ultimately it will be sent to India for you to get the visa and be admitted to the U.S. Takes about one year or more.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


While arranged marriages are common among Indian couples, you face a unique challenge in proving good faith due to the short 'courting' period. Nevertheless, it is certainly doable with the help of an immigration attorney familiar with the issues. I highly suggest your fiancé, if he's in the US, contact an immigration attorney for a consultation. Best of luck!

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
SwagatUSA, LLC

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer